The Town of Leader Transfer Station is located approximately 2 km north of town along Range Road 3264. There are two large bins on site to collect residential waste, an oil collection facility, scrap metal collection, shingle drop off, and burn area for clean wood and yard waste.
Hours of Operation
Summer Hours (April 1 – October 31)
Monday & Wednesday 2 pm – 6 pm
Saturday 10 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 6:30 pm
Winter Hours (November 1 – March 31)
Wednesday 1 pm – 4:30 pm
3rd Saturday of each month 1 pm – 4:30 pm
Transfer Station Fees
Residents of the Town of Leader do not pay a fee to dump at the Transfer Station, with the exception of oversized loads and shingles. Vehicles 3 ton and over must obtain a permit from the Town Office prior to being allowed access to the transfer station.
The following is NOT accepted at the Transfer Station:
- Tires and brake pads
- Batteries of any kind, including rechargeable
- Paint, paint cans, including aerosol, solvents, paint thinners
- Household and landscape chemicals, cement, siding and flooring
- Stones and concrete
- Wire and barbed wire
- Fluorescent lighting, compact fluorescent bulbs and sodium vapor lamps
- Mercury containing items: thermometers, pilot light sensors, barometers, thermostats
- Compressed gas cylinders, propane tanks
- Needles used for healthcare or syringes with biohazard waste
- PCB containing materials
- Photo waste (silver bearing)
- Grain and fertilizers
- Dead animals, slaughter waste
- Televisions, computer monitors, laptops, printers, cell phones, gaming devices, and microwaves.
Waste Collection Services
The Town of Leader contracts Triways Disposal Service to conduct curbside cart collection of solid waste and recyclable materials for all residential properties within Leader.
For issues or concerns related to your curbside waste or recycle collection, contact Triways at (306) 773-7575.
Residential Garbage Pick-Up
Residential garbage is collected bi-weekly by Triways Disposal Services. Please have your bin on the street by 7:00 am on collection day to ensure pick-up. Bins must be 3 meters from any vehicle/obstacle. Failure to ensure adequate room for collection will result in your garbage bin not being emptied.
Residential Single Stream Curbside Recycling
Residential recycling is collected bi-weekly by Triways. Please have your bin on the street by 7:00 am on collection day to ensure pick-up. Bins must be 3 meters from any vehicles/obstacle. Failure to ensure adequate room for collection will result in your recycling bin not being emptied.
Single-stream recycling is a system in which all recycle materials – fiber, plastic, tin, and aluminum – are placed, unsorted, in the recycle cart. Triways bi-weekly single stream cart residential collections program can help to divert approximately 40% of your household waste from the landfill.
Paper & Cardboard
- Flattened corrugated cardboard and paperboard (empty cereal boxes, detergent boxes, tissue boxes)
- Newspaper, flyers, junk mail, and envelopes
- Magazines, catalogues, telephone books, paperback books, hardcover books with covers and spines removed
- Brown paper bags, tissue roll cores, gift and packing paper, paper egg cartons
- Copier paper, NCR (no carbon required) paper
Aluminum & Tin
- Soft drink and beer cans
- Foil trays and pie plates
- Household tin cans (please rinse)
- Containers with logo 1 – 7; no food containers (clam shells) labelled #1
- Plastic drink bottles
- Aseptic Packaging & cartons
- Juice and milk cartons, milk jugs, tetra-pak containers, pouches
- Household garbage, organics, or hazardous waste
- No food containers (clam shells) labelled #1
- No plastic bags or plastic wrap
- Waxed, plasticized or food contaminated paper, cardboard, cups, or plastic plates
- Soiled tissues, napkins and paper towels
- Confetti shredded paper
- Styrofoam or other foam packaging materials
- Auto parts or batteries
- No oil containers or chemical jugs
- Wood and Metal
Electronic Waste Recycling Program
The Town of Leader runs an e-waste collection program in conjunction with the EPRA. Electronic waste can be dropped off at the Town Maintenance shop located south of town at 302 Highway 21. Materials can be left in the bin outside the door or brought to the shop on the last Monday of each month.
The Town of Leader is a battery collection site for Call2Recycle. Batteries can be dropped off at the Town Office Monday to Friday between 8:30 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm.